Lentils & Lamb Bowl
The more you cook and get comfortable with the basics of combining flavors, the more you can create new things that also taste great. For instance, lamb goes really well with other bold flavors, like garlic and bold spices. And if you are making a dish with lots of heavy or bold flavors, finishing with something bright, like lemon, is the perfect finish. When chefs are being chefy and talking about "balance", this is what they mean. Heavy flavors need something lighter and light flavors need something memorable for a good dish.
This lamb and lentil bowl is something I've made up, vaguely inspired by mujadara, a Lebanese lentils and fried onion dish. I can't remember where I first had it or read about it but I thought adding in lamb and some vegetables would make it a complete dish. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and you've got a meal! I'm sure Lebanese people would think this is ridiculous but I will assure you it tastes pretty damn good.
- 6 oz ground lamb
- 2/3 cups lentils
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Handful of chopped mint & parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Soak the lentils for 2-3 hours. Boil soaked lentils with times as much water as lentils, the bay leaf, and salt. Check while cooking - depending on how soaked the lentils were, it will take 10 to 12 mins to cook. Drain and set aside.
- Head the pan on medium-high and add the oil. Add the sliced onions and lamb and cook for 10 mins, until both have browned.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and the carrots. Cook for 2-4 mins. Add the broth and put the lid on immediately, for 3-4 mins. This will help deglaze the pan (aka loosen the crispy bits) and steam the carrots, so they cook quicker.
- Remove the lid and add the cloves, cumin, and coriander. Mix well and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Lastly, add the chopped mint and parsley and squeeze the lemon juice. mix well and serve!